WCRN to 50kW nights on Wed.

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Sat Mar 31 11:06:43 EDT 2007

Howie had mentioned it around 6:45 pm or so last night. WRKO had switched
to Celtics pre-game but his show was on WCRN. I was picking it up at
work inside the N. Reading post office, though faint, and what I thought I
heard him say was that he had been talking "just now" to the "owner"
of WCRN (think he said the name Carberry, which sounds about right)
and he'd been told that Wednesday would be the day that WCRN would
be boosting its power: "they finally got the OK from the FCC".

>>I've seen nothing so far in the FCC daily digest

WCRN had been aiming to get the power boost going by the start
of the Red Sox season. If this info is right, they'll have it
by the _second game_ of the season, an 8 pm start. (As has been mentioned,
they are now a Red Sox affiliate as is WVEI 1440 Worcester--
both WCRN and WVEI will be running ads but only WVEI will
get the money. Entercom wanted a stronger station in MetroWest
and Carter Broadcasting figures WCRN can get more well known
("Listen to all the games with 50,000 Watts of Nighttime power!"
says their site)

This article from last November talks about WCRN getting Sox
rights, and mentions that WCRN had tried to boost to 50kW
in the past (full time), but they had run
"into permitting issues with the town of Leicester over building a fourth radio tower".

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/NEWS/611160680/1009/SPORTS