Todd Gross lands Utah job

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Fri Mar 30 10:56:28 EDT 2007

Bob Nelson wrote:

> Let go by WHDH/7, Todd Gross has apparently latched on to a permanent job
> in Utah.

Todd (finally) explained what's up on his Yahoo list.  Things are not quite as
simple as just going to Utah and leaving New England behind.  He's one of the
top weather forecasters in the region and made some very good calls during the
winter on http://www.toddgross.com/ .  (There's a lot to be said for being
free of news directors' interest in hyping the next storm....)  He'll be
keeping a lot of his New England presence, which includes winter work for
various municipalities.  TV-wise, don't expect him on Boston TV, maybe
occasionally on Springfield's WWLP-TV.  I'm not sure about radio.  I hope he
continues with Cape Cod forecasts, he's the best in the business for that
region too.

Fortunately, while there's still something to be said about looking out the
window before releasing a forecast (or "nowcast"), a region's forecast more
than a day out can be done remotely.  However you must have intimate
knowledge of the area's vagaries, especially in New England.  Mark Twain knew
that, see http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/arts/twain1.htm

	-Ric Werme
        http://werme.8m.net/