FCC approves nighttime IBOC for AM

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Fri Mar 23 14:48:25 EST 2007

The problem is so bad that my tuner will not show HD at all for WUMB, nor
for WNEF.  When I aim at WNEF, WUML is a bit stronger than WNEF.  Yet I am
able to get HD and HD-2 on WFCR which is much weaker but the adjacent
channels are clear.

> Of course, WUMB could purchase an HD Radio installation for
> WMWM in exchange for WMWM rebroadcasting WUMB on the HD2
> channel!  ;-)  Come to think of it, I think WUMB would
> probably be better off trying to do something like that with
> WXRV; the 60dBu limit means that stations with lower ERP
> (like WUMB, or WMWM) really have limited options in multicasting.

I thought of the same sort of thing, and I have noticed that WBUR is not
using their HD-2.  There is a precedent for this sort of thing, with WTMD in
Maryland being on one of the DC station's HD-2.  Perhaps we should suggest
this to WUMB.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH