WFCR Switches AM Frequencies

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Mar 13 16:28:00 EST 2007

Eli Polonsky wrote:
>> AFAIK the only hard and fast rules are that stations
>> operating in the reserved band (87.9 to 91.9) must be
>> non-commercial, as must LPFM licensees and grandfathered
>> Class D FM's operating in the commercial band.
>
> Also, I don't think that TIS stations, either on AM or FM,
> are allowed to run commercials, though I'm not sure.

Correct, with the additional note that the TIS service exists only in
the AM band and that "TIS" stations on the FM dial are actually LPFM
licenses.

FM stations operating on channels in the non-reserved band (92.1-107.9,
or 221-300, if you prefer) that have been specifically reserved for NCE
use must also operate noncommercially. Not all NCE stations operating on
the non-reserved band do so on reserved channels; in fact, most older
ones don't - so the Maine Public Radio stations on 106.1 Presque Isle
and 106.5 Fort Kent, or VPR's 107.9 in Burlington, could go commercial
tomorrow if they so chose. (I think - I'm still sorting out some of the
more confusing pieces of the FCC's recent revision in the FM allocation
rules...)

See the reserved channels (indicated by an asterisk) in the newly
slimmed-down Table of Allocations here:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/2007/73/202/