WFCR Switches AM Frequencies

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Tue Mar 13 09:37:40 EST 2007

Presumably.  AFAIK the only hard and fast rules are that stations
operating in the reserved band (87.9 to 91.9) must be non-commercial, as
must LPFM licensees and grandfathered Class D FM's operating in the
commercial band.

Everyone else can, I assume, change back and forth merely by filing with
the FCC and awaiting for the FCC's approval (which I have to think is
almost always granted).  Although I'd imagine that if a station files
for NCE status, gets it, and then avoids the commercial station license
renewal fees...and then files to return to commercial status - they
probably have to pay the fees retroactively.

However, as was astutely pointed out to me, WPNI was never an NPR
affiliate; the owners were merely LMA'ing to WFCR no differently than if
WFCR was any other renter.  So it's quite likely they never bothered
filing for NCE status just because of the lack of options it gives you.
  If your LMA ends and you're stuck with NCE status until the FCC grants
your paperwork (which can take weeks or months) your station can be
stuck in limbo; unable to attract other LMA renters because of the NCE
advertising restrictions.  That's not good for business.

I had thought there was a more long-term arrangement in place with WPNI;
in which case an NCE filing might've made more sense.  But apparently
that wasn't the case.

Aaron Read
readaaron@friedbagels.com
Boston, MA 02446-2204