WFCR Switches AM Frequencies

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Mar 12 19:22:16 EST 2007

Aaron Read wrote:

> I don't know how one checks for this sort of filing, though.  I spent a
> few minutes perusing the AM Query (www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/amq.html) and
> not seeing anything obvious that marked WPNI as a non-comm.  Or other
> stations (like WBUR-AM) that I'm pretty sure filed to operate as a
> non-comm.

It makes a certain amount of sense that WPNI would not have filed for
NCE status, since WFCR isn't operating the station, only leasing time on
it for programming. How hands-off is WFCR where WPNI is concerned? When
I was up that way a year or so ago seeing some western Mass.
transmitters, the tour included both the studios and transmitter of
WFCR. I asked about WPNI, and the answer was that the WFCR engineers
don't even have a key to the transmitter building.

I expect, from what I've read so far, that the arrangement with WNNZ
will be similar - once the programming leaves WFCR's studios, everything
will be in Clear Channel's hands. The public file will stay at CC
Springfield, the CC engineer(s) will handle transmitter maintenance, etc.

I would be very surprised to see WNNZ file for NCE status.