Daylight Savings time Patches for this weekend

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Tue Mar 6 10:14:01 EST 2007

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>On 5 Mar 2007 at 10:53, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>> Well, if they're correctly designed they have a *rule* for the
>> change-over rather than a specific date (which would have to be
>> fiddled every year).

>I don't know about later versions of Windows, but in Windows 98SE, if
>you go to the Control Panel and click on "Date/Time," you get to a
>screen which contains an option to automatically adjust for DST.  You
>can uncheck that option, so as to prevent the software from trying to
>adjust the time on the old dates.

The good news is that http://www.sharpebusinesssolutions.com/dst2007.htm
offers Windows patches for the new savings time regime for Windows versions
no longer support by Microsoft..

The bad news is that they are only for the NT line, the Windows 95, 98, ME
do not have patches.  I don't know where the Windows keeps rules,

Unix/Linux has an extensive rule set with a complete history so it can
propoerly display past time stamps.  The many comments include references to
sites like http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html for an unofficial but extensive
description of Indiana and a stale link that should be
http://www.lib.az.us/links/daylight.cfm that describes Arizona's rules.

The Indiana page is a real hoot.  There must be something in the air at
the state capital, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
which apparently would not have legislated a value of pi as is commonly
understood.

Perhaps it's "time" to make sure my wind-up clocks still work.

	-Ric Werme

\