FCC Hearing in Portland last night

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Sat Jun 30 20:48:52 EDT 2007

Having lived in Maine for 31 years as a transplant from Massachusetts, and
having watched and heard the evolution of radio in Maine over that time, my
biggest complaint echoes that of the "inland" folk who were present at
Thursday's meeting.  Before our local stations were taken over by the
various conglomerates, one could hear hourly newscasts that featured both
national and regional news.  T'ain't so any more . . . some stations barely
broadcast news at all.  Here in central Maine, we can clearly receive two
stations that do on-the-hour news ---- WLOB and WVOM --- and they're both
Fox affiliates.  I would add, neither one originates here: one is in
Portland, the other Bangor.  WVOM (currently owned by Clear Channel) does
live news at :20 during the morning drive time and, I think, at noon (I
can't get the signal here at home, so I'm not sure), and then repeats the
same Bangor Daily News "headlines" over and over again during the afternoon
drive time.  Even MPBN broadcasts news only during drive time and at noon.
At least they do a commendable job.

-Doug