ESPN-Boston problems?

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jun 18 12:37:58 EDT 2007

890 is in the process of upgrading its night pattern and power. According to
both Glen Clark, who designed the new phasing network, and Chris Hall, CE of
WAMG/WLLH, the upgrade (from 3.4 kW-N to 6 kW-N with a slightly modified
pattern) did not require replacement of the night phasor--just replacement
of some components (inductors and capacitors). As far as I am able to tell,
that part of the work has already taken place and WAMG is operating with the
new pattern, though adjustment of the pattern may or may not be complete. I
believe, but do not know for sure, that the station was operating with the
increased night power for a time. At present, it may or may not still be
operating with the higher night power. I have not seen anything in the FCC
actions about an application for a license to cover (or for that matter, an
application for modification of CP to augment the new night pattern), but
the fact that I have not seen such applications means very little; I miss
quite a few of the ones I look for.

Where I live (about 16 miles northeast of the transmitter site) on two good
AM radios as well as on my car radio, WAMG's night signal is usually
acceptable (especially at times when I suspect the new pattern and power are
in use). I really notice no change in loudness at the pattern changes and
only a barely perceptable change in the background noise (absolutely
requires the trained ear of an AM geek or DXer). On some nights, WLS is
quite audible but usually not until several hours after local sunset here.
Even then, WLS is still not what I'd call a serious problem. And where I
live, the signal strength (I calculate ~6 mV/m) with the new night pattern
and power is about 1/2 (give or take) of the NIF value (12.5 mV/m). In other
words, I live outside of WAMG's protected night contour. The interference
from WCBS is not serious, though it may become so once 880 starts running
IBOC at night. Since I live so close to WWZN, I don't have any
first-adjacent problems with 1510 but the one-two punch of WTWP and WWKB has
got to be a worse problem for WWZN than WCBS is for 890. Back when 1510 ran
5 kW-N from Quincy, the nighttime signal here was pretty much unlistenable.
The worst co-channel problem was not from WLAC, which I don't recall ever
noticing; it was from CJRS back then. The two first adjacents, OTOH, were
murder--and that was decades before anyone even thought of IBOC.

Maybe Davidson took a look at the rent on the WWZN Tx site and decided that
890 suddenly looked A LOT more attractive. Maybe the possibility of ESPN
moving to 1510 was what triggered the backtracking on the ethnic format for
1510. If I were choosing which of the two signals to buy, 890 would be my
choice because it provides good night coverage of MetroWest (excluding
Marlborough, where I doubt the signal is audible at all when the night
pattern--either the old one or the new one--is running). No, 890 does not
have a killer night signal in Boston proper, but it's usable on a decent
radio.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367