Memories of John Garabedian and V-66...

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Fri Jun 15 15:10:57 EDT 2007

Donald A. wrote:
> Roger, what was the mood inside the WRKO building when WMEX was challenging (and sometimes beating) WRKO's dominance.

It's hard to remember the chronology after all these years, but
management and the jocks talked a lot about it behind closed doors.  Of
course, the jocks let us techs know a lot of the "juicy" stuff.  There
were a lot of changes in the on-air stuff and I can't be sure what was
the direct result of competition and what was just evolution of the
Drake format.

It was around this time that they changed from single songs and short
stop sets to two (or more) in a row with slightly longer stop sets.
Also, the concept of adding LP cuts to the play list found favor.  A
nod, no doubt, to some of the LP cuts being played by WMEX as well as a
realization that the FM stations were starting to encroach on AM's
dominance.  At first it started off conservatively with just 2 or three
cuts added for spice.  Then, it escalated to the point where the jocks
were bringing in huge stacks of LP's from their collections so that
certain cuts could be carted and added to the on-air rotation.  The
biggest add was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - which I edited down to 9:40 from
the original15+ minutes. We were congratulating ourselves on being TOO
HIP FOR THE ROOM.  The most hilarious point was when WRKO was accused
(in a newspaper article) of adding LP cuts as a response to
competition.  Their official response was "Nonsense, we've always played
LP cuts that merited airplay, blah blah, blah..."

The news wars were funny.  They streamlined the news and went to a
"secret, hush-hush" two-day rotation, so that outside of drive time, the
news was not always in the same hour e.g. if it were at 7:40, 9:40 and
11:40 on one day, the next day it would be at 6:40, 8:40 and 10:40 the
next.  It was intimated that letting this cat out of the bag was
tantamount to treason and subject to instant excommunication.

Without mentioning names, it was the subject of much discussion,
snickering and ribbing after one of the evening jocks had a rendezvous
with a female staffer from WMEX who applied "persuasion" in a vain
attempt to extract 'secrets' fom him.  'Nuff said.

Still, the on-air sound was constantly monitored, compared to WMEX and
tweaked incessantly.  The jocks groused among themselves that they were
on too tight a leash and given the opportunity, they could be WAY more
hip in their delivery and choice of music - if only given a chance.
Three of the jocks all lived in the same apartment/condo complex in
Framingham and gathering at one of their abodes to "discuss what's
happenin'" was almost a daily ritual.  Of course, the grousing
continued.  They all talked about  how "I could do it SO much better"
One Saturday night, it happened:  One of the jocks decided it was time
for the revolution.  He "broke format".  He decided what songs and  in
what order they would be played.  He discarded the one-liners in favor
of his own words.  Of course, the "Bat Phone" rang.  He answered it and
hung up on the PD.  It rang again and he repeated.  After that, he
refused to answer.  As you might imagine, the engineering supervisor of
the whole plant (AM, FM & TV) came upstairs and quietly explained to him
that the police (who were literally next door) were coming and if he
didn't leave quietly and quickly, things would get ugly.  He left and
guess which the board op was left to pick up the pieces.  I ran the
station jockless and following format until they could find a jock that
was home and answering the phone.  Turns out that nobody was at home
then and the closest they could come up with was the Music Director who
had been a Jock years ago. He lived about a mile away.  You can imagine
how nervous he was sitting in the BIG SEAT.  I helped him through it
until the midnight jock came in and relieved him.