Memories of John Garabedian and V-66...

Lou lspin@comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 00:06:01 EDT 2007

I had always heard that GTR stood for "Garabedian's Terrific Radio."

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Donna Halper
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:30 PM
To: Jon Maguire; markwa1ion@aol.com;
boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Memories of John Garabedian and V-66...

>>Doug said--
>>The WGTR calls probably came from WPTR or they were intended as a
>>resurrection of the original WGTR, which I believe was the earliest
>>incarnation of what is now WAAF.  Donna, help us out here!

Well, all I know (and I don't know much!) is that the WGTR calls go
back to November of 1943, when the late great John Shepard 3rd's FM
station, originally called W1XOJ and then W43B, was re-named with the
call letters WGTR.  That stood for General Tire Company, named after
the company which had purchased a controlling interest in the Yankee
Network.