Memories of John Garabedian and V-66...

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Jun 13 09:40:26 EDT 2007

The subject line made me wonder whether Garabedian had passed away. I don't
think so; I believe he is still very much alive.

Wikipedia is not infallible and I note that it is the source of the 1969
date for the founding of WGTR. I'm quite sure that Home Service
Broadcasting, the original licensee of WGTR, was founded several years
before 1969 (maybe 1966) and that WGTR did not sign on until several years
after 1969 (I'm almost positive it was 1972; the month was most likely
November). There were a lot of legal complications. The FCC granted Home
Service's application pretty early on but then rescinded the grant of a CP
shortly afterward when a competing applicant protested that its application
had not been considered. WGTR maintaned that the competing app had not been
timely filed and therefore was not entitled to consideration. Although the
FCC concurred, the competing applicant protested and the applications were
designated for a hearing. Before the hearing could took place, however, Home
Service bought out the competing applicant. This resulted in changing the
proposed transmitter site from the foot of Oak St on the east side of
Natick, just south of Route 9, to Kendall Ave in S Natick (which I believe
was property that the competing applicant had secured). Kendall Ave was a
superior site for serving MetroWest because of its proximity to Framingham
(and Sherborn), but it was also a few miles closer to KYW, which resulted in
WGTR having to use a very short (56-degree, 140') tower to keep its
radiation efficiency down to the FCC's Class II-D AM minimum of 175 mV/m/kW
@ 1 mile. WGTR could neither exceed the minimum nor fall below it.

Other stations besides WORC and WMEX where Garabedian worked before putting
WGTR on the air were WESO and WPTR. I suspect that he got the idea for the
WGTR calls from WPTR.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367