Cable Choice and Competition Act

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Mon Jun 11 21:30:50 EDT 2007

Dan Billings wrote:
> They had people that they called reporters who went to the meetings
> and then wrote stories that could be read in minutes telling what
> happened.

I'm on a school board in Vermont.  The meetings are live and replayed on
the local access channel.  So, I can only assume that the local paper
cleans what it wants from the video.  On those rare occasions when there
is a real, live reporter at the meeting it does make a difference in
much of how business transpires. It may be in the subtle stuff such as
how board members or visitors act, react, and contribute. As it should be.

Having grown up in a very news-oriented home and in the former
full-contact sport market of Boston, it can be quite a let-down when
public business just sort of ... happens.  Not that there are many
earth-shattering events in local town or school business, but it is
something that could garner eyeballs to the page (and adverts thereon).
The raw feeds of municipal meetings do have a place, but...

Bill O'Neill