Cable Choice and Competition Act

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 10:51:43 EDT 2007

It seems illogical though that Verizon would want to cherry-pick inside a
city or town though, since, even in the poorer communities, the purchase of
phone and cable services are kinda standard.
Speaking from experience, most lower-middle class folks choose to spend a
bit more on cable because they don't have a ton of money to spend on
entertainment outside of the home, like theaters, or buying/renting DVDs. In
other words, more often than not, it's a captive audience.

In addition, I've been noticing Verizon offering phone/DSL/cable via one of
the dish channels with more channels than basic cable for $99 a month.
Let me tell you, after looking at a current combined $185
phone/broadband/cable bill, another grand in my pocket annually instead of
Comcast's isn't such a bad thing.

As far as PEG stuff goes, I'm torn about how I feel about it.

I've seen what great operations they have in Boston, Cambridge, and
Somerville, and I've also enjoyed the programming in all three cities. SCAT
does an amazing job and Boston's NNN and Talk of the Neighborhoods is great
programming. It always seemed a worthy cost in those communities, since the
bulk of the costs for PEG are just passed on by the cable companies to their
customers anyway. Why would Verizon be complaining about that?

On the flip though, I've seen what has happened here in Concord, N.H. The
media access center is an embarrassment. It's not worth the $240k-plus we
pay for it, especially when we used to only pay $60k for it. It has few
original programs which are repeated over and over again. During the renewal
talks with Comcast two years ago, the city tried to force Comcast to donate
two more channels to the access center. Comcast laughed that proposal off
after they started tracking the broadcasts and found that 91 percent of the
programming was repeats or billboard notices. The local newspaper complained
that the programs are "like a couch left on the curb" and said of the
station's picture quality: "no, you don't need glasses, it's the TV."
Despite an influx of $350k for capital equipment last year, the government
meeting coverage looks like it is 14th generation tape. It has also been
alleged that a few years back, a sitting city councilor conspired to oust
the station's original executive director. She then took the job for
herself, and later, had an outreach coordinator position created for her.
Despite constant outcry about these actions, the council refuses to do
anything about it. In fact, despite cuts to the city budget, including a
number of departments and services for the poor, the non-profit that runs
the PEG stations are scheduled to receive additionally $11k and will be
hiring a fourth full-time person, along with two part-timers. You would
think this is some town in Massachusetts but no, it's New Hampshire.

Best,
Tony Schinella