Cable Choice and Competition Act

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Thu Jun 7 20:05:59 EDT 2007

Let me start be saying that I am, in general, not a great fan of Verizon.
There are things that they do exceedingly well, however, and I gladly buy my
cell phone service from them as a result. Another thing I would readily buy
from VZ - if it were available - is FiOS.

I recently moved from New Jersey, where FiOS was available, to Worcester,
where it is not, and I have to say that I miss it very much.

The NJ regulators franchised Verizon for the entire state, after which they
rolled it out very quickly. The cable companies complained a lot, but none
of them went out of business.

FiOS is a fabulous service, and totally free of the restraints and problems
that usually come with Verizon DSL and dialup service, which I wouldn't buy
on any account. I had business-grade service with 5 fixed IPs and a direct
pipe to the Internet - no blocking of Port 25 and the other nonsense that
they put you through on the other services. I paid for "up to 15mbps" and
never, ever, clocked it at less than 12.

Charter's rates are through the roof compared with other areas of the
country, and all I can say about their Internet service is that it's better
than dialup. They could sure use the competition on both Internet and Video
services.

So from somebody who lived in a state that did what Massachusetts is
considering, I say "go for it." Competition is a great thing, even if it
does come from Verizon.

-Dave Doherty
 Skywaves, Inc.
 97 Webster Street