Lots of avails on the WRKO Boston Red Sox Radio Network?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Jul 28 23:23:23 EDT 2007

Doug Bassett wrote:

> Is it still true that Patriots games cannot be
> automated?  It's been about 5 years since I've had to
> run one.  One thing I remember is that from a traffic
> standpoint is that right around the holidays day games
> could be a PITA...too many spots - car dealer spots in
> particular - and not enough avails for any meaningful
> product separation.  Ford, Honda, Chrysler.  GM,
> Subaru, Ford.  Ford, pet store, Toyota.  Etcetera, so
> on and so forth.

How many programmers still make any pretense of caring about product
separation these days? It seems like it's more common now to hear Ford,
Honda, Chrysler even at slow times of the year than to hear Ford, pet
store, Toyota.

The worst (in so very many ways) seems to be local cable ad inserts - no
attempt at all to keep competing products separated. Or to have
consistent audio levels. Or to get the timing right so the national
spots or programming aren't stepped on. Or to use a reasonable level of
video compression instead of making it a sea of pixellation. Or to avoid
the plague that is three cable-company promotional spots in a row.

If I had a buck for every time I'm shilled for the cable company's phone
service, I could retire tomorrow. (And if they took the money they'd
save by cutting back on the wall-to-wall promotion for the service, the
price might just be reasonable enough that I wouldn't reject it out of
hand!)

Sigh...I'll go back to listening to baseball on the radio. Beg pardon -
RED SOX baseball on the radio :-)