suggestions for Entercom

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Jul 14 00:19:05 EDT 2007

The biggest problem in swapping frequencies is that WRKO could lose
Rush Limbaugh in the process, which would just about kill the station
altogether.  Rush affiliates tend to be big signal AM's or dominant
news/talk stations.  I've heard some talk about Clear Channel moving
Rush to WKOX after it's signal upgrade.  While 1200's signal would be
improved over where it is now, it still won't have the coverage 680
does.  Just look at Providence.  Clear Channel owns WHJJ and runs a
talk format on it, but Rush remains on WPRO.  Why?  A better signal and
a higher rated talk format than 920.  I can't see how Premiere would
want the show to stay on a station downgrading frequencies. Moving WRKO
to 850 could be enough for Rush to move.....to 96.9.   Then what does
WRKO have?  Finneran, Feinberg and Savage.  They'd get crushed by WTKK,
particularly in the drives.

Their best bet is to keep WRKO on 680 and bring Dennis and Callahan
over to do mornings.  Tell them to skip the sports and do their hate
radio schtick.  The wingnuts that usually listen to WRKO should eat
that up, and it's their best bet to beat Howie Carr head to head.  Keep
Feinberg and Rush where they are, and in afternoons pair Finneran with
a veteran, out of market radio host, someone that can counter
Finneran's comments with predictable right-wing spin.  That should be
enough red meat to get the regulars to at least tune in occasionally.
It won't beat WTKK but at least it keeps the station viable.  Once WRKO
gets out from Finneran's contract, then they can do something higher
profile in afternoons, but for the station to stay in the game with
WTKK they have to find a way to take him off morning drive.  Hannity is
not the answer for afternoons.  WRKO needs to stay local in drivetime,
even with the Speakah, and besides, Hannity's done nothing to help
WTTT.  Leave Weiner/Savage on at night, he's not hurting the station
and it's cost effective. And for the short term, keep the Sox on 680.
At least they'll get some listeners nights and weekends.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"