Lots of avails on the WRKO Boston Red Sox Radio Network?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Fri Jul 13 14:57:43 EDT 2007

>>It would appear that radio assumes that their listeners' attention
span is equal to that of a goldfish.<<

Yes, we do...and with very good reason.  Getting listeners to remember
who you are is an uphill climb, and if you think I'm kidding, you should
see the diaries that some Arbitron panel participants fill out.  It's
amazing that stations get any listening credits at all, given the
condition of some diaries I've seen.  Further, the available research
says that Arbitron diaries are often filled out at the end of the day,
not while the listening is going on, so recall of call signs, dial
positions and/or positioning statements is of prime importance.  The PPM
may make this a moot point once it gets into every market, but for now
radio stations have to drill it home constantly.  Most listeners are
*not* radio geeks who make the same associations that we on this list
make.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF