prayers for Jess Cain

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Wed Jul 11 11:49:34 EDT 2007

Kevin Vahey wrote:
> Jay Fitzgerald in the Herald tells us this morning that long time WHDH
> morning man Jess Cain is very ill. Get Well Jess!!!
>

> http://news.bostonherald.com/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1010631

Fitzgerald's article is a must-read if you have a chance. He gives Jess
spot-on and well-deserved praise.

In my relatively short tenure at WHDH back in the 80s, Jess was to bring
his 35+ year career to a close, with the final radio chapter an
interesting AM combo with Tom Doyle.  Let's just say that with Pudge
Flynn, Jess needed no other partner - that was amazing chemistry.

One of the funniest Jess bits was enshrined on Pudge's Wall of Carts in
master at the old NE Life Hall studio. I forget the label but it was
(Jess speaking in) faux Chinese with sitar and big-finish gong
accompaniment (yes, very un-pc by modern standards). Eddie's echs often
played that as a bed under Eddie's live Kowloon reads during Sportstalk
and the Huddle.  Hysterical.  The first time I saw it done was when Don
Albanese was teching the board.  It was then that I learned that the bit
was that of Jess - never would have guessed.  I also witnessed Jess read
the weather report over practically all of the Axel F
Theme/Faltermeyer(?)  (from the Eddie Murphy film) but Jess actually
spoke the words of the forecast to the actual syncopation of the song.
He was standing there doing it all on the fly just for the heck of it
but it was flawless.  Now, if I ever hear that song in the background I
can only remember Jess's "It will be Sun-shine and bree-zy to-MO-row..."
all in a soft, underplayed voice/tone.

Glad to hear that Jess is in good hands and held in prayer. Get well soon!

Bill O'Neill