Natalie Jacobson To Retire

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Jul 11 12:49:25 EDT 2007

I think people get settled with one newscast and tend to stick with it.
  Younger viewers have historically been drawn to 7's tabloid style
presentation.  Fox 25's newscast will probably siphon off more viewers
from them than the other stations as they also have a faster paced
delivery.  Older viewers have tended to watch Channel 5, due to the
draw of a veteran reporting staff (Gail, Jorge etc) along with Natalie,
Dick Albert, Harvey Leonard and Mike Lynch.  Even their graphics are
"old school."

At the end of the day, WBZ just gets lost in the shuffle.  They've
brought in personalities from other stations in the market, like John
Keller and Chris May but it doesn't seem to help.  And that may be the
underlying problem.  I tend to watch 4 more than the others and it's
always been a revolving door over there.  You never know who's going to
be on which newscast, even when it's not vacation season.  People tend
to like a certain style of newscast, and they'll stay with it if there
are personalities they can rely on night in and night out.  Channel 5
had that credibility but by jettisoning Natalie, that could be put into
jeopardy.

WBZ needs to stabilize the people in their newscasts and keep them
there.  If Natalie goes to 1170, they should find a spot for her and
let it develop, not bounce her around between 5, 6, & 11 like they've
done with other anchors.  If 5 is trying to go younger to run with 7 &
25, I'm sure there will be more veteran departures coming out of
Needham.  WBZ should snap some of them up and build a newscast that
specifically targets the upper end of 18-49.  It's not sexy, but with
three other stations fighting over the 20 & 30 somethings, WBZ could
find a niche with older viewers which could be lucrative in an older
skewing market like Boston.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"