Changing the local cable franchising process...

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 11:38:48 EDT 2007

I know we've bounced around the pros/cons of this bill...and some members on
the list had some strong felings about it.  I thought this recent letter to
the editor in the Boston Herald covered some imporatnt points about some of
the issues Verizon is trying to evade with the bill.

http://news.bostonherald.com/letters/view.bg?articleid=1009330&format=text

Wired for arrogance

Your editorial in favor of a bill to change the local cable franchising
process implies that consumers suffer because telecommunications companies
have a difficult time breaking into local markets ("House is hanging it up,"
July 2). But nothing prevents companies like Verizon from signing identical
contracts that existing providers have already negotiated with cities and
towns. Verizon does not want to adhere to consumer protections, like
anti-redlining provisions that require the provider to offer service to
everyone in town no matter their income demographic. This bill is the
epitome of special interest legislation and should be rejected by the
Legislature.