when analog TV signals end

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jul 8 01:31:48 EDT 2007

On 7 Jul 2007 at 1:56, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Almost but not quite.  The "Home Service" is what became Radio Four.
> The "Light Programme" became Radio Two, and the "Third Programme" kept
> its number.  The new service was "Radio One", which was the Beeb's
> first foray into popular music; it was started to compete with the
> pirate radio ships, like Radio Caroline, and with Radio Luxembourg
> ("The World's Largest Commercial Broadcaster... Radio Luxembourg,
> 14-40 Medium Wave, from Marnach.  The Great 2-0-8!")  Remember that
> this was at a time when Britain had no commercial radio ("independent
> local radio" was not started until the mid-1970s, and national
> commercial stations were not licensed until the BBC abandoned most of
> its mediumwave network).

OK, thanks for setting me straight and elaborating on this.  As I
said, I heard test transmissions for independent local radio in the
London area when I was over there in May 1973.  I also heard the
World Service broadcasting to Europe on medium wave.  I had borrowed
a small AM-only transistor radio from my mother, and it seemed odd to
be hearing the BBC World Service on it.

 92 State Street	                                  Fax 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109           	         http://www.attorneyross.com