WBZ/Esplanade

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 13:13:20 EDT 2007

--- Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:

> Eli Polonsky wrote:
>
> > AM stations that run IBOC must run an even more limited
> > frequency response on their analog signals than stations
> > that don't, and they don't change that processing even
> > when they aren't running IBOC at night.
>
> They're not required to stay with the narrow analog bandwidth
> when the IBOC goes off, and not all do. WLS in Chicago even
> turns their AM stereo back on at sunset.

WBZ could also change their processing at night, but they
don't seem to have their act together to do that. I remember
a few years ago they promoted that they were going to switch
on their AM stereo for the 4'th festivities. They actually
promoted it pretty heavily for a couple of days leading up
to it. I assume this would've meant going to their backup
transmitter, which was still AM stereo at the time. When it
came time for the 4'th broadcast that year, their promoted
switching on of AM stereo never ended up actually happening.

EP