Turner Broadcasting:"Stunt Gone Wrong"

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 17:18:01 EST 2007

   At least 10 suspicious "devices" found throughout the day in Boston,
Cambridge & Somerville, leading to closings of parts of I-93, subway lines,
roads & bridges, part of the Charles River and a massive response by local,
state and federal law enforcement agencies. Not a terrorist act, but a
marketing stunt for Turner Broadcasting's Cartoon Network to promote a new
program. Turner Broadcasting has issued an apology for the stunt gone wrong.
>From a broadcasting standpoint: Channel 5 pre-empted network & Oprah and
Channel 7 blew off Family Feud (and all spots) since around 3, Channel 4
jumped in just before Mayor Menino's press conference at 4:15. WBZ radio had
extensive coverage in between the rest of their news clock elements.

    Is this a bad judgement call on the part of someone in the marketing
department at Turner/Cartoon Network? Can the FCC issue any penalties to
Turner in the wake of a broadcast organization (albeit one received via
cable or dish, not an over the air net) causing such a commotion? Will heads
be rolling at Turner's world headquarters? Definitely not a good day in
Atlanta (if that's where they're still based).

   Does Ted Turner still own any part of Turner Broadcasting? I thought he
sold part, if not all to Time Warner.

Mark Watson