WLVI-HD

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Fri Jan 26 01:21:00 EST 2007

I want to give an explanation of what is happening with HD and
upconverted SD transmissions of CW programs on WLVI-HD.

Some programs on the CW HD feed are in true HD, and are transmitted
by WLVI as such.  Other shows are sent in an upconverted mode, with
the aspect ratio stretched to 16:9.  This has led people in other
cities to believe they are seeing these programs in HD, but in
reality they are not, they are simply seeing SD in the stretch mode.

WLVI does not carry programs in this upconverted mode, opting instead
to upconvert locally, keeping the original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Please note that while I work for WHDH/WLVI, I had no part in making
the decision to carry the programs in this manner, so please don't
shoot the messenger!

There have been other problems related to the change to switching at
7 Bulfinch Place, prior to earlier this week we were switching the HD
feed remotely at Morrissey Blvd..  This is why on Tuesday we were
still trying to work things out when we accidentally stayed on the CW
feed for approx 10 minutes into the news.  The CBS bars were seen
because CW transmits from CBS facilities.

Please remember that despite what the people selling TV's will tell
you, HD and digital TV are still somewhat in the beta stage.  And
remember that when you pay good money to a retailer, the stations get
nothing from that transaction, and that the stations have yet to make
a profit from digital or HD.

I'll be happy to answer any questions as best I can as long as you
are not asking for any proprietary information.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH