Scott's NERW rant

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Mon Jan 22 14:51:25 EST 2007

Great reading Scott's latest NERW installment today.  Quoting his
parenthetical: "(In a world in which we can each have our own customized
programming as close as a webstream or an MP3 player, it's a function
best served by media other than broadcast radio, anyway.)"

Neglected AMs are a clear victory for local governments and other
decision makers for the public good who, otherwise, would be subject to
press accountability. I don't think we realize just how impacting that
is on the big picture.  And a slightly better ad value than tacky phone
book covers or placemats at the local diner.

I'm on a local school board here in (Middlebury) Vermont (yes, crossed
over from the Fourth Estate to the 'other side.')  Most meetings have
zero press presence (but for the local paper who likely views the public
access TV coverage). The only local AM in Middlebury is all but bird-fed
sports, including AM drive. Zero local presence. The local FM is
bird-fed classic country.  Another FM is a (honking) repeater for WAMC
public radio.  WCLX is a decent mom and pop (literally) for album rock
but no news presence.  If you hope to get local radio news out of
Burlington, even those with local casts are rip n' read, little or no
wraps, no stringers covering municipal or school stuff.  Rutland, same
deal.  The only station in the state that gives an impression of local
news coverage (albeit minimal from the field) is WDEV.  If there's the
big melt-down, I'll likely tune to WDEV.

That leads to the question, if or when there is "the big $%*@! story"
where would you tune on the radio by reaction?

Bill O'Neill