PSAs

chuckigo@maine.rr.com chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Thu Jan 18 05:54:40 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
Date: Thursday, January 18, 2007 5:15 am
Subject: PSAs

> (snip) But let me ask those of you who are PDs or
> announcers:   even if you are sold out, do you still try to fit in
> certain number of PSAs?  If so, are there organizations you prefer
> use, or is it a matter of whatever got sent to you that week?
(snip)

Donna,

   the one thing we try to do on our stations up here in Portland is
bang the drum as loudly as possible for as many local area non-profit
events as possible - it is the one thing that we can do to
differentiate ourselves as not canned, bird-delivered or syndicated
programming.  on Oldies 100.9, we try to work the local events in as
convseration item as opposed to what some of our stations do - the pre-
produced "community calendar" thing.  the mentioning of local
happenings is probably the most-commented upon aspect of our on-air
programming that i hear - that we seem to know everything that is
going on.  the in-studio list of events i have in front of me is
broken down by day so that we get an opportunity to mention the events
a few times, especially in the hour or so before they're scheduled to
happen.  we get plenty of "thank you's" from groups who have had a
number of people show up at the event saying they'd just heard about
it on the radio and decided "why not."
  additionally, most of the stations in Portland do latch onto
a "national" charitable organization off and on through the year (Red
Cross, Toys For Tots, Children's Miracle Network, St.Jude's, cancer
support groups, homeless shelters, food banks, etc) for one or two
major attention-getters.
   as far as pre-recorded psa's, though, on our stations they are
usually limited to a committment from the Association of Broadcasters
(usually Maine's chapter), and those might be drinking & driving
messages, coast guard, or highway safety.

- -Chuck Igo