WBZ-TV 4 rebranding

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Tue Feb 6 10:17:31 EST 2007

Sid Schweiger wrote:

> ...which, in the world of digital TV, is all irrelevant anyhow.
> Channel numbers can be reprogrammed in the software, so that even the HD
> channel for a certain TV station can show up as their old analog
> channel, if they so desire.
>

> Sid Schweiger
> IT Manager, Entercom New England
> WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI AM/FM
> 20 Guest St / 3d Floor
> Boston MA  02135-2040
> Phone: 617-779-5369
> Fax: 617-779-5379
> E-Mail: sid@wrko.com

That arguement would seem to make calls more important.  Since channel 4
might not be channel 4 anymore, it would make more sense to refer to it
as WBZ.  Why brand it as channel 4 if it shows up as channel 804 on your
cable system (in HD).  Also, if they are adding sub channels (ie 5-1,
5-2, etc.) Wouldn't it make more sense to use the calls.

What about the case of the SuperStations (ie WTBS) that we had years
ago.  If they promoted themselves as "channel 17", would that make sense
on your cable box?  We know the cable/satellite networks by name (ie
MTV, HBO, TNT).  The calls are pretty much the same, aren't they?  As
cable/satellite numbers get more confusing, you'll remember when you go
to a friend's house in a neighboring town (on a different system) that
you want to watch something on WHDH.  Now the trick is to find out where
the hell WHDH is on their system!

Brian Vita