Minivan crashes into studio during newscast

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Dec 24 16:51:38 EST 2007

Bill O'Neill wrote:

> Parking lot moments...not just for NPR anymore.

Having nothing to do with the WLS-TV crash...we had an interesting
conversation at WXXI the other day. Now that we're simulcasting our AM
1370 news-talk programming on FM 91.5-HD2, a few of us have noted the
very long delay that's inherent (at least for now) in the coding and
decoding of the HD secondary channels. They run close to a full minute
behind the delay-free analog.

But, see, that's a feature, not a bug - there are no more "driveway
moments" when you can turn the radio (tuned to analog 1370) off in the
car, take a leisurely stroll indoors, turn on the radio (tuned to
91.5-HD2) and - voila! - there you are, listening to the same broadcast
without having missed a moment of programming.

I'm not sure we could explain that in a :30 promo - or that we'd want to
try!