The "Hays Office", and the Production Code.

Mike msm618@mass.rr.com
Wed Dec 19 00:21:16 EST 2007

">>Wasn't there some sort of tightening up on standards and practices in

film around 1934 or something? Don't recall the details.<<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_Code

However, I'm pretty sure "Animal Crackers" came out before 1930, so the
Production Code wouldn't have affected it."

Yes, "Animal Crackers" is a so-called "pre-Code" film.  However, any subsequent re-release of the film after the Production Code was in effect may well have mandated those edits to receive a certificate.

I highly recommend Mark Vieira's book "Sin In Soft Focus", an excellent work on the origins of the Code, pre-Code films, and the "lost films" of the era.

msm