resend - BBC - Christmas song edit - PC madness?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Dec 18 15:21:15 EST 2007

>>I think Allan Sherman's songs have been edited as if for kids'
compilation albums, although Allan Sherman was writing for an adult
audience back then, with suggestive allusions such as this one in "Camp

Grenada":

"And the head coach wants no sissies,
  So he reads to us from something called 'Ulysses'"

Or from "It's a most unusual play":

"There's no scenery, there's no lighting, there's no costumes -- oh,
what art!"

Anyway, I hate the sort of edit done to "12 Gifts of Christmas" -- they

just snipped out the word "naked" rather than adding an audible bleep
or
pause, so the song has a little "jump" in every verse, for those of us

old enough to remember the original version before it got
Orwellized.<<

I'll have to go back and check now, but I believe the version on the
limited Rhino release "My Son the Box" has the unedited version.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF
WMKK - WRKO - WVEI AM/FM