resend - BBC - Christmas song edit - PC madness?

Steve Ordinetz hykker@wildblue.net
Tue Dec 18 14:45:35 EST 2007

>> Apparently, BBC’s Radio 1 program has cut
> out the word "faggot" from the song "Fairytale of New
> York," by the Irish band The Pogues and singer Kirsty MacColl.
>

> The song is a perennial Christmastime favorite
> in  – and arguably even here in the  on rock stations.

Guess my radio was broken that week, I've never heard of it.

Isn't "faggot" British slang for cigarette?  Maybe the Beeb is anti-smoking?

This certainly isn't without precedent.  Allan Sherman's "12 Gifts of
Christmas" had the word "naked" edited out of the line "statue of a naked
lady with a clock where her stomach used to be" on the Rhino greatest hits
album.  The song was intact on the original 45.  I have no idea who
considered this to be offensive.