WTIC night signal

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Aug 31 12:26:38 EDT 2007

Hi, Scott: Well, you can report what you've heard; I can only report
what you theoretically should have heard ;>) You don't live very far
from WHTK, right? Anyhow, that was my recollection, so I used WHTK as
a proxy for NERW Central. (WHTK also happened to be a station whose
calls I remembered.) According to AMSTNS, WTIC's inverse-distance
field in that direction drops from 2617 mV/m @ 1 km (ND) before Dallas
sunset to 1402 mV/m after Dallas sunset. That's a reduction of almost
2:1, which is equivalent to a power cut to 28.7% of the daytime power.
Skywave fades are, of course, the equivalent of much more than 4x
power variations, but the average signal after the night pattern goes
on should be perceptably weaker than the ND signal. And there must be
something to that--at least in theory. WOAP in Michigan had applied
for 50 kW-D and some lower night power DA-2 (six towers day and night,
IIRC). I don't know the current status of that app, but the station
had volunteered in its application to go dark between its local
(Michigan) sunset and Dallas sunset if doing so was necessary to
protect WTIC's skywave service during those nighttime hours when WTIC
operates ND. The idea was that WOAP's proposed night pattern and power
were supposed to protect WTIC's skywave service when WTIC was
operating directionally but could not do so when WTIC was operating ND
after Hartford sunset. In fact, WOAP may be located WITHIN WTIC's 0.5
mV/m 50% skywave contour when WTIC operates ND after Hartford sunset!

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367