Talk shows through the ages

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 29 13:53:49 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
To: Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net>; Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com>;
Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Talk shows through the ages

> At 12:07 PM 8/28/2007, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> >I'm pretty sure that two-way telephone talk had been tried
> >(successfully) before WMEX and Jerry Williams did it here.
>
> I've got research on this that says some experiments with it were
> done in the 1940s.  I believe Barry Grant was one who did those
> experiments in New York, circa 1946.

WENN Pittsburgh, the fictitious station that was the setting of the
wonderful American Movie Classics series of several years back, "Remember
WENN," devoted an episode to the day WENN "invented" telephone talk. The
show was set in 1938-39. Having noticed several other anachronisms in the
series (re-creating horse races by reading from what was obviously a
recent-vintage copy of the Daily Racing Form was one of them), I doubt any
research was done into the existence of telephone talk radio in the late
'30s before that episode was produced.

Howard