Hello, Jerry?

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 17:16:57 EDT 2007

>From: "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
>CC: "Keating Willcox" <kwillcox@wnsh.com>, >boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org
>To: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@gmail.com>,
>"Bill O'Neill" <me@billoneill.us>
>Date:	Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:50:44 -0400
>Subject: Re: Hello, Jerry?
>
>In the Merrimac Valley (except maybe near the coast--
>Newburyport and environs), I would think so. Actually,
>I'm amazed that she could get WMEX at all at night if
>she was in the Lowell/Lawrence area. That's probably
>true even now with 50 kW at night because, although
>the day patterns send a pretty strong signal to the
>north, the night pattern is nulled to the north to
>protect long-dark CJRS, which was due north of us.

Somehow, the old WMEX signal did go north at night.
Although it couldn't be heard listenably in Concord
or Framingham (or barely in Newton, where I grew up)
it did go north via the Routes 93 and 3 directions
and it could be heard up through New Hampshire and
eastern/northern Vermont to Montreal Canada, where
it was loud and clear at night when my family went
up there for "Expo '67". It was actually better
northward inland into New England with the old 5kW
from Quincy than the 50kW from Waltham. I could see
WMEX may have been audible in Lowell and Lawrence at
night, but not much farther west.

EP