It's not WEEI vs. WCRB - it's WEEI *and* WCRB

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Tue Aug 21 15:50:27 EDT 2007

though, that there'd be cause for one of the
> noncomms to take
up the slack. It's not at all impossible to imagine
> WGBH
mustering the resources to buy a smaller commercial signal...
>Hmmm... why would WGBH do that? Surely the classical music
>community would just migrate to WGBH right where it is, should the
>classical format disappear from the standard commerical bands.
>They're not ignorant (and probably already aware) of WGBH, and are fully
>capable of changing their radio dial. WGBH - I'm thinking - could care
>less about commerical competition (as in, how things are working
>now). While the current WBOS/WGBH (via WCAI) news partnership is based on
>some radio community friensdships, I do not detect a desire by WGBH to
>expand into the commerical realm - but I could be wrong.

>I guess what I'm asking is, what would WGBH actually gain by venturing
>in the FM commerical realm?
>Mike

A commercia/non-commercial mix already operates in Chicago and Seattle (WFMT and KING-FM
respectively) although neither resulted from a purchase of a commercial FM.
Recently, WMHT-FM, a non-comm at 89.1 in the Albany, NY market bought an
outlet that had been commercial until the purchase, and first ran it as a
training-wheels classical (I guess its listeners would eventually graduate
to the Mother Ship) but eventually flipped it to a different format.  The radio
station market right now is in a state of flux (a commentator at radio-info.com
suggests valuations are declining and some groups might be very interested in
divesting some of their stations) but I can't imagine the big 4 operators of
full-power FM's in Boston (Entercomm, CCU, Greater Media and CBS) putting a
"For Sale" sign on any of their properties.

--
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com !