"The Edge" on "Smooth Jazz"

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Thu Aug 16 12:10:54 EDT 2007

Your ignorance of the format speaks volumes.  I don't want to start another
flame war vis a vis the "dumbing classical" drone but might want to suggest
that check out the music before you condemn it.  Kenny G is no longer a
mainstay of the format.  On his last outings he was paired with more "pop"
artists such as Earth Wind and Fire.  Herbie Hancock (not a sax player last
time I checked)did a duet with Christina Aguliera.  Philippe Saisse covers
Steely Dan and Beatles songs along with some standards.  Diana Krall,
Michael Buble, Jamie Cullum bring a modern kick to orignal and new vocal
standards.  Al Jarreau did a compilation album with George Benson.  Mindi
Abair and Candy Dulfer make a saxaphone sexy.  Steve Cole makes it funky
The Rippingtons have been performing together for 20 years.  Shall I go on?

Yes, some smooth jazz programmers don't get it (KOAZ-FM in Vegas comes to
mind) and try the Kenny G mixed with real sappy vocals all the time approach
and, I agree, it's terrible.  Properly programmed, without a load of AC
vocals to please management, NAC is a great relaxing format to listen to at
work or while relaxing in the evening.  I have it on in the office because
its entertaining and,unlike traditional AC, it doesn't keep screaming for my
attention.  Magic is a great station, I just can't listen to it while I'm
working because I keep getting distracted by it.

Just my .02

Brian Vita

Brian Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.