Original WGBH-FM signon/off

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Wed Aug 15 19:05:11 EDT 2007

And Emerson just BARELY beat WBUR, I might add...my research showed that
WBUR came on the air in March of 1950...a scant five months after WERS.

Mind you, that simple fact didn't stop WBUR from promoting themselves as
the first non-commercial Boston station.  I saw several entries in old
BU yearbooks and newspapers where they said they were the first.  :-)

--
--------------------------
Aaron Read

Russ Butler wrote:

In 1951, I read a small announcement in the Globe that a new FM station
would begin broadcasting on the dial....  [Lowell Institute... Council]
was organized by six colleges and universities in Boston with the Lowell
Institute... to provide initial funding to get the first, non-commercial
FM radio station on the air in Boston. <<

Then they obviously didn't succeed.  The honor of being the first NCE-FM
on the air in Boston belongs to WERS, which made its debut in Nov. 1949
as a 10-watter.  It was up to 330 Watts ERP by the time GBH signed on.
By then WBUR had also gone on the air.

Just keeping the historical record straight.  (Where is Donna when we
need her?)