Original WGBH-FM signon/off

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Aug 15 16:44:39 EDT 2007

>Rick said--
>
>Just keeping the historical record straight.  (Where is Donna when we need
>her?)

Just lost my grandma, at age 96, may she rest in peace, so I'm kind
of pre-occupied with that.  But as I understand it, WERS was indeed
the first 10 watt educational FM to get on the air in Massachusetts,
and maybe even the first in New England-- several others were
licensed but didn't get on the air till later.  WERS did a dedication
ceremony on 2 November 1949 and began regular broadcasts on 14
November 1949.  WERS got a power boost and a dial position change in late 1950.