Smooth Jazz on WMJX-HD2 - By whose definition?

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Tue Aug 14 11:54:15 EDT 2007

I've been listening to WMJX HD-2 (Smooth Jazz) for the past few days.  They
paint the format with a wide brush with a lot of AC vocals thrown into the
mix.  The odd thing is that they're also throwing Big Band era into the mix.
Yesteday I heard Benny Goodman.  I've also heard Artie Shaw.  Right now I'm
listening to the Mills Brothers sing "Cab Driver".  While these are all fine
songs, I wouldn't exactly classify them as NAC.

Anyone know who's programming the station?

On the technical side, the HD is a noticable improvement of audio quality on
both HD-1 (Magic 106.7) and HD-2.  Doing an A/B between the analog and
digital signals of Magic is amazing.  It also appears that GM had the time
delay nailed between the analog and digital signals.  One of the other
Boston (non-GM) signals that I listened to was WAY off in the delay.  Now if
more of the public starts buying these receivers, this might take off.  The
sad part is that most of the public is still unaware of what HD Radio is.

On the AM side, WBZ's processing chain on the HD side needs some serious
tweaking.  Although the signal sounds more open, the high end is spitty and
nasty.

As a side note, this is the first time that I've voluntarily listened to
terrestrial radio (other than for local news) in several years.

Brian Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St - Ste 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5691