WCAP The Next Generation

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Mon Aug 13 14:27:28 EDT 2007

Well, now that the official announcement has cleared, we loyal WCAP
Radio alums, Great 98 Soft-ballers (at one point TWO strings, no
waiting), and listeners can breath a sigh of relief.  Viewpoints may
vary, but I am quite comfortable with the knowledge that the old "AM
Ninety Eight" is going into the hands of Clark Smidt (majority holder).

My greatest relief comes from the knowledge that it was Maurice Cohen's
signature on the deal, and that he did this solely at the pace of his
choosing.   Many a call I would make to Maurice with the conversation
going something like this, "So, Bill, what are you hearing today
(laughter)."  The rumors of the stations demise were, indeed, greatly
exaggerated many a time.  But, time has caught up with itself.

The late Ike Cohen often said that his wish was a solid local
programming and local news commitment.  And, I suppose, it would not be
a stretch to suggest that the brothers wanted to keep the station within
the English language spectrum as well as out of the control of other
local media with whom they honorably challenged one another in the
Merrimack Valley marketplace over the years.

A former colleague, who departed ten years ago, recently said, "When I
left ten years ago the station was all but 'sold'.  When I visited last
month, it was all but sold.  You gotta love it."

Bill O'Neill