pORTLAND or SHARE TIME am

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Aug 12 09:51:41 EDT 2007

Russ Butler wrote:
> Here's a description of KBPS-AM at 1450Kc in Portland OR (the FM is
> completely separate entity and all classical, non-commercial
> www.allclassical.org) The AM is a heritage station (began in the 1920's)
> with transmitter, tower and studios at a technical high school and now
> shares time with Portland State University who  broadcast at night,
> weekdays.

KBPS/"KPSU" is an interesting situation, but not technically a
share-timer. There's only one license - KBPS - with the licensee leasing
out about half its airtime to a separate programmer ("KPSU"). Even
during the KPSU programming hours, the station IDs as KBPS Portland, as
it should. (You can hear an ID on the Portland OR page at tophour.com -
http://www.tophour.com/audio/Portland%20OR/am1450_2006-09_kbps_sfybush_c.mp3)

As for the Chicago situation Dan cited, the former WVON half of the 1450
sharetimer remains separate from the WCEV half. It now uses the calls
WRLL (when it remembers to ID), and seems to program mostly black gospel
and preachers. When I was through there in May, I listened for the 1 PM
handoff from WRLL to WCEV, which consisted of WRLL cutting the preacher
off mid-sentence, a moment of dead air, and then the WCEV ID. They used
to do a much nicer handoff.