The Glenn Geffner mess getting worse

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 18:22:53 EDT 2007

Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> wrote:
> So would a lot of us.  Does anyone know the real story about why
> Trupiano was dumped?  A truly boneheaded move, I must say.  I mean,
> he wasn't gonna make the world forget Mel Allen or Vin Scully, but he
>
> was a very solid and knowledgeable sportscaster and did a very good
> job, in my opinion.

The opportunity to acquire a guy with Dave O'Brien's pipes was too good
to pass up.

On Trupiano, we'll have to agree to disagree. Trup was a hideous
baseball play-by-play guy. His gravely voice made me tolerate
(appreciate?) John Sterling, who is hated by almost every Yankee fan
alive. "WAY BACK, WAY BACK ... (mumbling) and caught on the warning
track." I intentionally listened to Sterling/Kay when the Yankees
played the Sox over Trupiano/Castiglione. This year has made me
appreciate Castiglione a lot more, especially when he carries the ball
when paired with Geffner in the booth. Still, the Trup/Castiglione
pairing is one of the worst in the history of Major League Baseball on
the radio, and that opinion has been offered by many more experienced
ears than me. After Coleman/Castiglione and Starr/Castiglione,
Trup/Castiglione was a major downgrade.