WPEP going dark (but now, WVBF serves Taunton)]

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Thu Aug 9 10:41:47 EDT 2007

Paul Hopfgarten wrote:
> 2 Watts!

I know of drive-ins broadcasting with more watts than that!

As an interesting side note, at the Georgetown DI (yes, the porno
palace) the AM xmtr fed into the speaker lines under the field.  The
theory was that the speaker posts reradiated the signal.  Also under the
ground were the high voltage lines (ie substantially greater than 440V!)
going to our own transformer vault (apparently Georgetown Power & Light
thought that the drive in needed several thousand amps).  The AM signal
would couple to the power lines and reradiate throughout the surrounding
area.  Everytime you passed a transformer on 133, you heard us.

Another fun fact was that the drive-in owned three hand-built
transmitters made by some crazy ham radio operator in VT.  It used a
Hartley tank oscillator for tuning and had no harmonic suppression.
Since digital car radios had not yet taken over, the transmitters were
deliberately tuned down to 525 or so.  Most of the analog radios tuned
that far down without a  problem.  As a result, they had a relatively
clean channel to work with.  An unintended side effect was that our
harmonics popped up at 1050 and 1575.  Given the lack of selectivity on
the old car radios, it would not be unusual to get some strange dialog
on your car radio as you cranked up I-95, which ran behind the screen,
listening to WBZ or WMEX (or whoever was on 1510 at the time).

I think that the statute of limitations has run out on this one and the
former owner of the dive-in passed away last winter.