WPEP going dark (but now, WVBF serves Taunton)

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Aug 9 07:25:51 EDT 2007

Depending on the QRM from WCKY, WWKB, and WDCD, my guess is that, on a
decent radio, you could pick up the station reasonably well in a radius of
maybe 500' from the tower. I have said since the idea was floated of 1530
becoming WPEP and trying to serve Taunton as well as Middleborough Center
that WVBF should keep the old WPEP stick in Taunton and run 2W night from
there in addition to using its own stick in Middleborough. (Actually, the
FCC would probably not allow quite the full 2W from the Taunton stick
because it's a little more efficient than WVBF's own stick in
Middleborough.) There would be no problem of the two flea-power signals
interfering with each other because each would be WAY down in the QRM before
you came into range of the other. And there is precedent for Class D AMs
running "synchronized" low-power co-channel nighttime transmitters--a
station on 670 in the tidewater area of VA does it, and there may be others.
Actually, synchronization would be the least of WVBF's worries with this
scheme, because neither signal would encroach on the other's turf.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367