Don't forget WHDH-FM/94.5 (was Re: att Donna Red Sox announcer list)

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Fri Aug 3 15:19:18 EDT 2007

>In 1967, they experimented with what would be called Progressive Rock
>(automated of course).  I'd never heard anything like it before.  Imagine
>hearing something from Ray Conniff followed by "Incense And Pepermints"
>from the Strawberry Alarm Clock!  But that was being aired on 'HDH-FM
>until the middle of 1968.  Harold J. Clancy, who was oblvious to what
>aired on the FM finally got wind of it and said "There is NO way THAT
>kind of music will be aired on WHDH-FM!"  And so the 'HDH-FM foray
>into Progressive Rock ended quietly.

Which begs the question "How many stories of "Great Radio Stations"
from people's childhood/teen years were really the result of somebody
pushing the envelope (even inadvertently) without the boss's approval
or knowledge?

Warning: Nostalgia ahead:

~1965, when I first worked in radio (1Kw Day/250w Night) WKTQ, South
Paris ME they had a block from 3:00pm to 5:00pm allegedly devoted to
"youth music" a.k.a. Top 40.  Unfortunately, they had no real records
to play for it, because they received only MOR type singles from the
record companies.  Needless to say, that block had few listeners.

When I first started, as a summer replacement, they put me on the
shift that included that block.  As a record collector, I had all the
Top 40 singles and I played them.  For that brief period in time, all
the teenagers in Norway & South Paris listened to me, because I was
playing the Top Hits.  But, come fall, school beckoned me back and it
all came to an end.  I'm sure, somewhere, there are a half dozen people
who remember that "Golden Summer" when their little old local station
played the same "good stuff" as the Boston & New York stations that were
so hard to pull in at night and non-existent right after school.

Ahhh....!  Memories!