Red Sox on WEEI

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Thu Aug 2 16:13:04 EDT 2007

Entercom wanted to prop up the sagging ratings of WRKO and generate
some new cume to The Talk Station.  Both WRKO and WEEI are now tied in
the ratings 12+, even though WRKO is much lower than WEEI in the 25-54
demos that agencies prefer.   WRKO does not want to pre-empt Rush, or
they may not be able to contractually, so I can understand the weekday
games moving to WEEI.  The Wednesday night thing was not well thought
out.  WEEI is marketing it as "Red Sox Wednesday" complete with
interviews with players and management throughout the day (similar to
Patriots Monday) followed by the game that night.  I suppose it makes
sense from a sales standpoint, but it's confusing for the average
listener.   Of course, if you listen to any of the other WEEI stations,
they air all of the games.

In Worcester you can get every game on both WVEI (1440) and WCRN (830).
  Obviously WEEI does not promote the WCRN
broadcasts, but it's the superior signal in Worcester county,
especially at night.  I guess that can be confusing too.  WCRN got a
small bump up in the Worcester book this spring,  largely due to the
Sox.  Interestingly, if you add up the three WEEI stations ratings in
Worcester (they all appear--1440, 850 and 103.7) WEEI would be fourth
or fifth overall 12+.  If Entercom could figure out a way to get that
830 signal and put WVEI on it, they could be a top three station in
Worcester, at least during Red Sox season.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"