This whole Imus/Shock Radio thing.

SonnyDaye1@aol.com SonnyDaye1@aol.com
Sun Apr 15 13:49:30 EDT 2007

Re: Joey Reynolds

Roger said:
<<<<<<<I thought he was entertaining, but not shocking or vulgar >>>>>>>>

I think this type of radio BECAME MORE "shocking", "vulgar", etc. as each decade passed, as the jocks pushed the envelope more and more.
But, in Joey's early days, HE was pushing the envelope - no one else was saying the kind of things he was sneaking into his "rap". After all, wasn't he fired by something like 30 stations? Sounds like a shock jock to me. (I THINK that gives him the credentials to be called a shock jock!).
Never have been able to figure out why he isn't more well known (at least in the Boston area, he's not known).
And, Roger, I think you hit it on the head with your description of Joey's talent:

<<<<just a very clever entertainer tuned in to what made teens tick.  It was almost as if we were in on a joke that only we understood and our parents were clueless.>>>>

And NOW, although he's in a more mature setting (syndicated overnight talk show), his youthful mischievous personality (thankfully) still comes through.
I can't think of anyone else on radio these last couple of decades who is anywhere near as clever and entertaining.
-Sonny Daye