WFCC founder laments current state of station

Robert S Chase attychase@comcast.net
Thu Apr 5 12:14:10 EDT 2007

What do you expect when you have the best FCC (and other federal regulatory
bodies) that money can buy.

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:44:31 -0500
> From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
> Subject: WFCC founder laments current state of station
> <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
>
> (tip of the hat to BostonRadioBlog for finding this)
>
> A founder of WFCC in Chatham complains about what the once-locally
> oriented, highly recognized
> station has become and he wonders if it will even stay classical:

"Now, there is about to be a further change, as Baltimore-based Sandab
Communications is negotiating with CRB for WFCC (along with CRB's other Cape
radio station, WKPE, Orleans). This move will give Sandab -- which
previously bought WQRC-FM and WOCN-FM -- the second, third and fourth-ranked
stations in the market. (The #1 station, WXTK, is owned by another
conglomerate, Quantum). Do you suppose all of this maneuvering creates a
"market monopoly?"

Well let me tell you, this latest move also could very probably result in
the demise of Classical Music Radio on Cape Cod!

Local community-oriented radio stations are being devoured, dissected, and
discarded by the "Mega-Media Moguls." Operating in the "interest,
convenience and necessity" of the public they are licensed to serve, has
become a joke -- the butt of which, deplorably, is the listening audience!"