J.J. Jackson at WTUR

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Tue Apr 3 00:51:49 EDT 2007

<<On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:58:59 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> Is this actually technically possible?  Making the entire length of
> the tracks an antenna sounds rather like the old ads about the gadget
> that makes all of your house wiring an antenna.

That's a complicated question, because it depends on the nature of
the tracks and the signaling system in use on the particular
railroad.  But in general, I would agree with your doubts.  Railroad
tracks are generally grounded (at least at the frequencies we're
talking about) but not as well as a proper AM ground system (or even a
proper electrical ground system).

-GAWollman